Why is antifreeze so dangerous for cats?

The most common ingredient of antifreeze is Ethylene glycol and it is also found in some screenwashes and more rarely de-icers. Ethylene glycol poisoning (antifreeze poisoning) is extremely serious in cats. A small dose can result in signs which are initially non-specific and may be easily missed.

How do they get poisoned?

Cats may be exposed by drinking neat antifreeze from a spill, but are more commonly exposed after drinking the diluted fluid from drained vehicle radiators. Most exposures are not witnessed.

When to treat?

If you think your cat has ingested antifreeze or any other ethylene glycol based products please call the surgery on 01684 573333 any time of day or night to get your cat seen by a vet.

Call Now Button